Well, the layoffs at Novell are quickly approaching, now that Open Enterprise Server 2 has shipped. It looks like I may retain my job, although I have a lot of friends who won't. My team is definitely the best I've ever worked with. I'm sad to see them go, and disappointed with Novell's decision to cut so deeply into already under-resourced groups. Anyway, I'm glad to keep my job and hope for some better job security in the future.
3 comments:
Yesterday Novell in Provo let 200 employees go. In my business unit, that meant 79 people, or a little over 50% of our group. For testing, it was much worse. It's almost easier to talk about the numbers surviving than the numbers leaving. My team of 12 is down to 3. The system test group of 14 is down to 2. Another testing group is down to 3, and has been moved under my manager. It's pretty crazy. We had a meeting today with the business unit heads to talk about what's next for us. It looks like most of the next couple years will be helping the testing groups in Bangalore, India come up to speed on what we've been doing. The "hope" is that this will free the Provo groups to be more innovative. I want to believe it, but I don't know if we'll all survive. One thing to surely take from this is to always keep a resume polished and on-hand. You never know what might happen. Novell still has a lot of great benefits, but the drawbacks seem to keep mounting. We'll see what happens next...
Wow, congrats on keeping your job . . . sorry to hear about the bad news for so many friends. I'm glad y'all finally have a blog--too bad I had to find out from JQs blog! Excited to be up to date with your fam.
Yeah, Cassi wanted to get some content out here before she told everyone. She has a post with some pictures of the girls almost ready. Then I think she's going to email the world about it.
Post a Comment