Saturday, May 16, 2009

Katelyn's Recital Day

I have now experienced a Jeanne's School of Dance recital from the side of being a parent. Wow. What a day. What a long day. I actually don't remember most of the day. It was such a blur, and really I'm kind of trying to block it out so I can do it again next year!

The day started with a dress rehearsal in the morning. I had Adam and left Megan with Chris. The dress rehearsal ran until around lunch time. We were about 30 minutes from home and only had about an hour for lunch before we needed to get ready for the 3pm show. That meant we stayed out in Chandler and found a McDonald's for lunch. Then it was time to rush back to Dobson High School where the recital was and throw the first costume on and get make up and hair done.

Meanwhile back at home, Chris was finishing the last minute items on the year-in-review video that was to be played at the show. The video was done, except for a few pictures from the dress rehearsal that morning. But, of course, Chris ran into a few snags. He couldn't get his DVD burners to actually burn the DVD! He ended up working some kind of magic and he made it to the 3pm show on time, DVD in hand.

We really enjoyed the first show. Katelyn did a great job and by the end we had both Adam and Megan asleep. In fact, Megan just curled up in the auditorium chair and she was so tired she slept all the way through part of the first show, the intermission, and some of the second show. Chris' hands were tied with saving seats for the second show and holding Adam so he couldn't take a picture. He says it was priceless.

Then it was on to the second show at 6pm. I went backstage to help do a touch-up on Katelyn's hair and makeup. At that point I learned you NEVER go backstage at a recital. I found out that the parent helper during the first show was not planning on staying for the second show backstage (these little girls were in 6 numbers with costume changes!). I knew there wasn't anyone else, so I volunteered to stay. It ended up being a really good experience to be able to help, see the backstage stuff, and get to know her classmates...but, maybe not one I want to repeat anytime soon! So, finally at about 9pm I fed my kids dinner and finally went home for the first time that day.

Here's Katelyn in "Tiki Room." Enjoy!

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Listening/watching to the Tiki Room just makes we want to get up and Samba!