Thursday, July 23, 2009

Swim lessons

We spent 6 weeks of our summer (in 3 sessions of 2 weeks each) doing swim lessons for the girls. We coordinated with my sister in law so that they could take lessons the same time as their cousins and so that we could help each other watch the kids in and out of the pool. Adam and I survived the heat of not being able to get in the pool! The girls really loved it, and I loved that it took up their time and we could be busy. (No chance of hearing "mom, I'm bored!")

Katelyn spent the first 2 weeks in one class and did so well and completed all of the requirements that they moved her up for the next sessions. She can now swim 25 yards freestyle and backstroke without having to stop and hold on! She is also starting to work on her breast stoke and butterfly stroke (legs only). We are so proud of her.(Katelyn is making a funny face in this picture, but I realized it was the only swim lesson picture I had! Chris came their second to last day of class and took quite a bit of video.)

Megan also did an amazing job this summer. She enjoys playing in the water, but when asked at the beginning of the summer to "do a bob" and go under the water she wouldn't do it. By the end of the 3 sessions she was a lot more comfortable in the water and would go under when asked to do it. This is a big accomplishment for her. It's still not her favorite thing to do, but she is getting better. She will also do a back float and put her head level with her body instead of trying to keep it up out of the water, which is also another great achievement for her. Yea Megan!

2 comments:

Heather said...

I have yet to sign my girls up for swim lessons--it's WAY past time! Looks like it was really fun for your girls.

Kristin Chesnik said...

Way to go girls!