Monday, March 29, 2010

I hate scorpions


Scorpions are just ugly. Sorry if anyone out there has a soft spot for them, but I hate them. They are dormant here from October to April, so that's when I forget about them. Ignore that they exist. However, we have warmed up so I knew the little things would come out and show themselves. A few weeks ago on a Sunday, I was thinking it was time to have Chris start "hunting." He goes outside with his black light and kills the ones we can get. They glow a green/yellow color under black light so they can be easy to see at night. Well, we had too close of an encounter that next day. Katelyn went to put her shoes on for school and we hear her and Megan scream and run yelling "scorpion!" That makes your heart start racing! I killed it with my flip flop and felt that sinking feeling that the season has begun. It doesn't end there. Just 2 hours later I was playing in the playroom with Megan and Adam. We had been in there for 10 minutes already when all the sudden Megan screams, "it hurts, it hurts" and then I see the scorpion as she is backing up into me. I jump and pick Adam up and get Megan out of the room. She had been stung on her leg below her knee! I wanted to scream! I had enough mind about me to know that I needed to call poison control. I got the number from Amy (I knew she had called it about something else recently so she knew the number) and I called. They gave me instructions and it was so nice to have someone I could talk to and they could help me. We washed her stung spot and gave her pain medication. Then we waited and watched for signs of problems. I went back after about 5 minutes to the playroom to kill the offender. I was probably hilarious to watch. I had our heaviest hammer covered in duct tape so he couldn't escape. Then I slowly approached the room. The scorpion ended up being in about the same spot we left it. I felt no remorse smashing it flat for what it did to my little girl. I couldn't be in my house that day. I went visiting some friends, ate lunch out, I was home long enough for Adam to take a small nap and for Katelyn get home from school, then my wonderful mother-in-law realized I needed "retail therapy" so we went shopping. I think going shopping is the only thing that kept me from packing boxes and moving far far away. In the end, Megan ended up being just fine. It hurt her for about 6-8 hours, then she didn't complain about it anymore. It's debatable whether I'm OK, but each day we don't see any in the house it gets easier. I hope that was the only encounter we have this summer!

8 comments:

Ryan said...

It's never fun to feel like your house has been "invaded." I felt the same way when we had ants at our last house. I wonder why your neighborhood is different than where we grew up. The first time I saw a scorpion in real life was on my mission in Mexico!

Marnie said...

Ewww! Just reading your story makes my skin crawl...I hope you don't have any more encounters inside either.

Jennifer said...

Retail therapy can fix many things ;)

Kristin Chesnik said...

Ahhhhh!!! That is horrible! Believe me, I have no soft spots for ANYTHING that crawls (excepting babies of course!).

The Woolner Family said...

Those things are nasty and ugly and just plain pointless as living creatures. The mere thought of them would be enough to make me move to Antarctica just to be far enough away.

Stephanie said...

I'll be honest in saying that their are only two things that could possibly keep me from Arizona #1-Scorpians, #2 any heat over 100 degrees!

Cassi said...

Stephanie--don't let those things keep you from AZ! They are both workable. (And remember scorpions aren't around for 6 months.)

Cori said...

Ugh, so sorry to hear the little one got stung! We've been lucky enough to only find 1 scorpion in our house in 10 years, and we're pretty sure it came in on something. It seems like here you either have them or you don't, and if you do you just can't get rid of them. I know our bug guy has some special spray for scorptions--you might want to check into it...