Saturday, September 19, 2009

Go Devils!

Ok, so I'm BYU Cougar blue and white through and through, but I've got ASU Sun Devil maroon and gold in my blood. And thanks to Grandpa Ed, I got to go to the ASU vs. University of Louisiana at Monroe (ULM). Grandpa usually offers my Dad and I to pick a couple games to go to and use his season tickets. This year, he went even another step further - my schedule looked good for this game, so my name got put on a list sent to ASU by Frank Kush (former ASU coach - the field is named after him) for a pair of tickets. Dad was going to go with me, but his call schedule got scrambled at the last minute and he couldn't come with.

Going to the game with Grandpa is always fun, but definitely has some perks too. First you usually meet one of Grandpa's friends (today was Tom, who played with Grandpa at ASU back when they were the Cougars). Since Dad wasn't there, I volunteered to drive. Here is the second perk. It's been a while since the Devils became the Devils, so Grandpa has a parking pass for the structure adjacent to the stadium, so that was a piece of cake.

ASU vs. ULM wasn't a wildly popular game, but that wasn't why I went. I had great tickets - 26th row at about the 20 yard line. The weather was perfect, it was all awesome. Next perk, for about the first half, I had almost the whole 26th (and some of the 25th and 27th) rows to myself. I was showered and clean so I don't think that was the reason. :) My seat was particularly good for the kickoff touchdown return by ASU! Kaley and Chase had some magic tickets too and made it there after the game was underway. They found me, and then at halftime we found Grandpa and Tom and sat with them for the rest of the game, which ASU won 38-14. One kinda interesting thing that happened during the game was that from one of the eaves around the stadium, a few hundred bats flew out and around for a while. I didn't hear that they caused any problems, but it was kinda cool to see them flying around, and so many of them.

The only complaint I could make of the night was that the AT&T 3G coverage inside the stadium (which the inside cover of the game program was a full-page, full color add of AT&T 3G and ASU Stadium) was horrible. That minor inconvenience aside, I'm grateful to Grandpa Ed for always thinking of me when there's and ASU game going on.

My view from the field:

No comments: