Sunday, December 20, 2009

Hunting...

Here are 5 things I've learned so far on this job search:

  1. Neal was smart to frequently tell us to keep our resume's updated - glad I listened.
  2. Employers hiring a developer position often see "tester" as a bad word.
  3. I don't like going to outplacement services and talking to people, but I don't think I'll get a job without it.
  4. My professional "network" is GREAT up in Utah, but really small here (so far).
  5. I know at least one reason for my calling as Elder's Quorum secretary was to get to know the presidency and be near them during this transition period. They are a wealth of knowledge and comfort to me, as well as great network contacts.
I've had a few interviews over the past few weeks. One was with a company Brett worked for part-time/remote for a few months last year before deciding to stay in Utah with Drew Major's company. I'll say it was a good interview in that it gave me some good experience at going through interviews. I haven't had a real job interview since I hired on as an intern, so it's a whole new ballgame for me. I thought it was a tough interview, very academic-focused rather than practical or experience focused. They had a hard time seeing passed the "tester" role on my resume. I had another interview with a CEO of a small company in Phoenix. It was a job right in line with my experience, but they went with someone else. I've worked with a couple recruiters for different companies and pursued leads I got from friends or via LinkedIn connections. All good work, but so far no offers. Although I'm not the "support-group" kind of person, I've actually enjoyed going to the weekly meetings at Lee Hecht Harrison (outplacement service, part of my severance). It's uplifting and depressing at the same time, since some people have been on the hunt for 7-8 months. The techniques and tips I've learned through them have been great though, and I know it's made me a better job seeker.

No comments: