 |
| Adam's first IV....well this is a picture of his hand wrapped after the IV got taken out. He's got his train blanket and apparently a show on so he's not too concerned about the bandage on his hand. |
Adam is officially my first kid to need to go to the ER (knock on wood...don't want to start a trend). As I was packing upstairs to get ready for our family to go to Vegas for Thanksgiving, I heard Adam scream downstairs. The way he screamed, and even worse when I picked him up, I knew something was really wrong. I did my nurse head to toe assessment but couldn't find anything out of place. It seamed when I held him he calmed down. But I really knew something was wrong when my VERY active toddler didn't want to be put down. After a while of not getting better, we asked Chris' dad (a doctor) to come do his assessment. Nothing was really found either other than, yes, Adam was not acting normal. So, then it was a trip to our pediatrician for a night time pediatric check. We were thinking anything from a fall (but there was no evidence of one) to a scorpion sting (which there was also no evidence of one). The doctor couldn't really find anything either...so much for modern medicine! (Can you tell I was getting a little frustrated?) She said if he couldn't sleep that night then to take him to the ER. By this point it was late and so Adam was tired. I thought he would possibly just sleep it off, but he woke after only a few hours of sleep. So then it was off to the ER, with many tears from me worried about my baby, and tears to my mom that I might not be coming for Thanksgiving. As a nurse, I have to say that you would think I would be great with sick kids. I am. Just not my own. By the time we were at the hospital it was appearing that Adam was guarding his stomach when we would pick him up and he didn't like his underarms touched. The ER doc decided it was most likely abdominal so we went for x-rays. They then did blood work and an ultrasound of his abdomen to rule out anything bad. Then a LONG time later it was decided that maybe he was just full of a lot a stool. Great. An ER visit for poo! Adam seemed to be better after an enema so we just left it as that, even though he was still acting not completely normal. We had a follow-up visit with our pediatrician on the Monday after Thanksgiving. He felt it was possibly a cracked collar bone...so off we were to more x-rays. No crack. So we have a mystery that was never solved. A few days after the incident I did notice some bruising on the right side of his shoulder/neck area, so I am convinced it was a fall. In all, after a week Adam was back to normal. Glad he's OK!
2 comments:
How frustrating for you! Glad he's OK. Keep the updates coming... :)
I am SO glad that it wasn't anything more serious!
Post a Comment