Visitors are always fun, right? Well, the people kind yes. Other kinds, not so much...more on that later.
First, Cassi's posted already that her parents came and spent a few days soon after we were in. It was fun to see them, show them the area (though I didn't really show them anything - they loved to go driving and discover), and of course show them the house. They got to be here for Katelyn's first day of preschool, and I know Katelyn liked that.
This week we had a visit from Steve and Georgia (great friends from Springville), who were visiting one of their kids and his family who just moved to Scottsdale. We were so glad they came over and caught us up on all the happenings in our old 'hood. Here's a shout out to anyone planning a trip to the Mesa area: Come on over!
Finally (and I've been meaning to post on this for a while) are the non-human visitors...scorpions. Arizona Bark Scorpions to be more specific. In all the years I lived in AZ before starting BYU and living in Utah, I never saw a scorpion, except maybe at the zoo. We figured that since our house is 16 years old, that any groups of scorpions would have been persuaded to move on by now. Apparently that isn't the case; they've been happily living in our cinder block fence, venturing out for food at night. We think our sellers moved out around July 31st, and we didn't start moving in until August 13. So the house was empty, and under new "micro-management" for a couple weeks. I don't want to alarm - we didn't have an army to conquer. But one scorpion is almost enough for a pregnant wife to say "I'm not staying here, let's not move in." :) After a couple treatments by the pest control people, and now the weather is cooling down, we (knock on wood) don't see any in the house anymore, and we only see a small number along the back fence at night. The back fence residents will be eliminated when I finish getting my hunting tools together. I'll post another night about our ward's scorpion hunter. For now, I'll just say that she's given Cassi hope, and fired me up to start handing out the eviction notices.
1 comment:
That's my greatest fear with buying a home in AZ. Too bad the scorpions don't have "Home Sweet Home" signs to warn us.
Post a Comment